Skabo Lutheran Church is located northeast
of Grenora, North Dakota and was initially
built by Norwegian settlers as a prairie
school house in 1918. In 1948 it was
converted to a church where services were
held until the 1980s at which time regular
services ceased. The cemetery and interior
of the church has been regularly maintained
by the cemetery organization since that time.
In 2002 the church underwent an exterior
restoration with much of the work being
completed and funded by former
parishioners and relatives of area settlers
as well as some hired help.
Visiting here fifteen years later the church
was still in good condition and the
cemetery well tended.
The name Skabo (pronounced ska-bow,
emphasis on the "bow") comes from the
homesteader's native city of Skabu,
Norway. Somehow the "u" was replaced
with an "o" and the new name stuck.
Thanks to the Williston Herald for helpful
information regarding this pioneer church
and cemetery. Thanks again to those area
residents who provided vital information
about this and other churches, cemeteries,
school houses and points of interest in
Divide County, North Dakota.
Photographed on October 27, 2017.