This cemetery is just east of the Buffalo Trail and
northwest of Hilda, Alberta. The records for the
cemetery have been lost, as is often the case with
pioneer cemeteries, but there are at least twenty-five
marked graves including several children. It's
untended and mostly forgotten now amidst the
Differing sources state that Saint James Church was
built on the site in 1924 (possibly 1919) and was in
service until 1965 (possibly the 1950s) when it closed.
After many years of neglect it was moved to the
Medicine Hat Stampede and Exhibition grounds where
it was restored to its current condition and is part of the
Pioneer Village permanent exhibit. A happy ending
for the church.
A photo of the unrestored church in it's original
location can be seen here:
More information on Pioneer Village can be found here:
Cemetery photographed on June 11, 2017.
Church photographed on July 25, 2017.