This pioneer cemetery is located northeast of Elkwater,
Alberta and dates back to a time when this part of
Alberta was known as Assiniboia West, Northwest
The memorial monument lists forty-one names but
additional sources list up to seventy-five interments
in total. Also, the cemetery was in use for a few years
longer than the monument states (1897 to 1937) as there
was at least one burial in 1943. Only four of the
graves have headstones.
This spot has a big, open feeling and the Cypress Hills
are just a few miles away.
Photographed on May 11, 2017.